Thursday, January 04, 2007

My Window on the World of Big-Time College Football

Hi everybody - I hope everyone had a chance to ring in the New Year in style...I certainly did. I went to Tampa, where I celebrated New Years' Eve at a nice Irish bar and New Years' Day by taking in the Outback Bowl. It was Penn State vs. Tennessee in the battle of the bloomin' onion, and by God Penn State beat the odds and won. All in all, it was an excellent time, yet it did open my eyes wide to the College Football Phenomenon (CFP for short).

I went to the University of Richmond. Our football team wasn't bad at all...in fact, Shawn Barber (my former next door neighbor) still plays in the NFL. I lived in an apartment between two apartments of football players my junior year and I remember one saying that he didn't care who he played on Saturday, he just liked the game. The guys on the team were pretty nice (those I met) and I never got the sense that they were too too into themselves as college football players.

Fast forward many years to the Outback Bowl. I knew in going that this was a big deal...bowl games are in general a big deal. I knew that there would be a huge, enthusiastic crowd, television coverage...the works. What I did not expect was the nearly cult-like devotion of some of these fans of the Nittany Lions. Seriously, I heard older guys questioning every play call, spouting things like, "Well, I wouldn't have called a screen there...I don't think #42 is strong on the left side, but you know...that's just me. Obviously, Joepa has it under control." Additionally, I met people who knew ever player's name, every number, every position...they practically had these players' girlfriends names memorized. They knew what each one looked like, even without numbers on. They knew what redshirted freshmen looked promising for 2007. Never in my life have I see such devotion to a team.

And honestly, there is a part of me that found it creepy. These are, after all, 18-22 year old college guys. Thirty+ year old fans were rushing to take pictures with them...women were fawning over which player was their "pretend" boyfriend. All in all, a little obesessive. It made me ponder a few things 1) how amazing it must be to be a player on a big college team 2) how in the hell do you keep from being an asshole when, at 19, you can claim to have "fans?" 3) what happens to the guys who have "fans" in college but never play beyond that? and 4) perhaps we've gone a little far with celebrity/sports hero worship. I have thought #4 all the time, but this whole experience just drove it home.

I am a big sports fan...but I don't get personally wrapped up in the heroes of my favorite teams. I did spend a large part of high school believing that the constant athlete worship in which my school indulged was a little much...but don't get me wrong, I think sports are important in a lot of ways. They teach great, great things such as teamwork and the importance and reward of working hard towards a goal. They promote physical fitness and in general are lots of fun (I play a few myself...ahem). Forbes published an article this week listing the 15 most valuable college football programs and how much those individual programs generate in revenue, not just for the athletic departments of the schools to which they belong but how much of that revenue gets funneled into academic scholarships as well and it was eye-opening. Every pseudo-intellectual a-hole who argues that college athetic programs are a huge waste should have to read it. Hell, I work in licensing, the industry that brings you every sports team t-shirt, hoody and beer coozy on the market. All in all, sports are a win for everyone (pun intended!).

At the same time, I can't help but think that it's a little crazy to dote upon what are, essentially, dopey college kids. They may be kick-ass athletes...but until they're drafted they're still dopey college kids in my eyes. Ironically enough, my grandfather was the QB for Penn State in the 30's and a college coach his entire professional career (mainly baseball). I think he would agree that that the worship factor is a little bizarre. Not that I support mooning over pro athletes any more than I support mooning over college ones or actors or any kind of celebrity worship in general. I guess I'm just not into that. It makes me wonder if there is a certain personality type prone to celebrity obession.
Anyway, getting away from the topic of athlete worship for a moment, I could see myself following college football a little closer next year. There is a passion in the game that I'd previously missed, and for opening my eyes to it I have both the Outback Bowl and Boise St. to thank. Now on to NCAA Basketball. Go DUKE!
**For the record, the friends I attended said game with aren't crazy at all...just big fans of their alma mater and (in two cases) their hometown college team. Go Penn State!

2 Comments:

At 1:48 AM, Blogger DanielFlatley said...

I seem to remember Sean Barber sing Kareoke one night down at 1801.
I just want to watch some Xena the next morning

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written article.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home