Sunday, November 05, 2006

Borat

So I saw the movie Borat this weekend. It was OK. I really wanted to like it a lot more than I actually did. In my opinion, the strongest moments were the parts in which Borat's targets played along with his fish-out-of water schtick rather than the times he simply pissed people off a lot/made them uncomfortable. I guess I agree with the review of this film that I read on MSNBC...pushing buttons can be very very rich comedic material. Other times, it can feel like pushing buttons for the sake of pushing buttons. This movie, in my opinion, was an interesting mix of both of those circumstances. Thoughts?

2 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger Ben said...

I really want to see it. My brother said there is one part that made him especially uncomfortable, when Borat went gun shopping. He asked the clerk "what is best gun for killing jews?" to which the clerk responded, without hesitation, a 9mm. Is it not as bad as he made it out to be, or creepy?

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger SUE said...

Ha...I know exactly what part he's talking about. Those were the kinds of moments I thought were actually funny...the guy answered his question but didn't really show that he was uncomfortable. It was almost as if he blissfully didn't even hear the question correctly. The parts I disliked were those in which the humor resorted to poop jokes and pratfalls in an attempt to make funny rather than playing on the fish-out-of water scenario. The gun store, for me, fell under the fish-out-of-water part. See also the driving instuctor and car dealer. Hilarious. Thinking about the movie in hindsight I like it a little more than I did immediately afterwards. Even so, it does have shortcomings. What I'd really like to know is how hard the producers worked to find their "targets."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home